Ambubachi Mela 2022: : Festival starts from today with new restrictions
Ambubachi Mela 2022: It is of the year in Assam when devotees from across the country flock to the city of Guwahati to pay homage to Goddess Kamakhya and seek her blessings. The Ambubachi Festival at the Kamakhya Temple is finally starting from June 22 and will continue till June 26. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the fair was in the midst of a two-year hiatus. Now, it is finally here, due to the ongoing flood situation in Assam and also due to the fear of rising Covid cases, there are some restrictions.
Despite the odds, people seem excited to welcome the goddess.
Worshipers of Goddess Kamakhya eagerly await the grand celebrations of Ambubachi Mela every year, but this year they will have to temper their enthusiasm in return for the current crisis in the state. While everyone is warmly welcomed to attend the festival, the government is a bit skeptical about the rain conditions during the festivities.
list of sanctions imposed
- Will not be allowed to stay near Kamakhya temple
- No unauthorized food delivery services will be allowed. Food services will be provided only in compliance with the guidelines in the camps set by the district administration. So far only dry fruits, biscuits and drinking water are allowed.
- Only vehicles connected to essential services, Kamakhya temples and some local people will be allowed
- No inter-district, long distance buses under ASTC will be allowed to ply on DG Road, MG Road and TR Phukan Road during festival dates.
- Carriage of heavy, medium and small commercial vehicles will not be allowed. However, three wheeler commercial goods vehicles will be allowed only from 12 am to 6 am.
- No vehicles will ply on the newly constructed road from Pandu Ghat to Kamakhya Trinath Temple.
Read the detailed press release by the office of the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Traffic, Guwahati, Assam here.
date and time
While worshipers may already be overwhelmed by the restrictions, there is one more addition to the list. All rituals related to the goddess will take place but only behind closed doors.
Date and time of closure of Kamakhya temple:
june 2022, 8.18.00 pm
About Ambubachi Fair
52 Shakti Peethas Considered to be one of the oldest, this festival celebrates the goddess of motherhood and fertility. Tracing its etymology, Ambubachi means ‘spoken by water’. Water has always been associated with fertility since time immemorial. During the festival, all agricultural activities like sowing, digging, plowing etc. are prohibited.
Celebrated during the monsoon season, the Ambubachi Festival symbolizes the goddess experiencing menstruation. Due to this the temple remains closed for three days, with the belief that the goddess should also take rest. Many devotees have already started coming to seek blessings from the revered goddess.