World Alzheimer’s Day 2022: How does age relate to what causes people to lose memory or forget things?
What is Alzheimer’s and its causes: Amnesia is a common problem. For example, we forget someone’s name and can’t remember right away, forget to keep car keys or everyday things like pens and glasses, and forget where we put them in a short period of time. These problems are associated with memory but are not of such a level that they are considered a serious illness (forgetfulness). Because these problems are caused by thinking too much. Overthinking is also a mental problem, which can be easily corrected with the help of a psychiatrist or psychologist.
Now the question arises that if having these problems is normal then what is amnesia? Such severe amnesia means that in this case forgetting things is not due to your carelessness or being too busy. Rather it is due to some changes in your brain which are causing the problem of memory. One such problem is Alzheimer’s, which usually occurs in old age and due to which a person forgets things related to daily life. World Alzheimer’s Day 2022 is observed every year on 21 September. Learn how amnesia affects life and what are the events that can cause memory loss in one’s life.
Why does amnesia happen?
Old age is a major cause of amnesia. This is because brain cells dry out as we age, causing the brain to not get the right amount of blood and oxygen and causing memory problems. However, it is not the only cause of amnesia. There are many other factors as well…
1. Alzheimer’s (Alzheimer’s): It is a neurological disorder in which memory is weakened due to shrinking of brain cells. In this, the person also forgets to do those things, which he has been doing since childhood or for the last several decades. Like, counting money, getting dressed, choosing the right clothes for yourself, etc.
2. Increasing Age:Medically, after the age of 60, body functions and vital organs begin to decline. These include the brain. Every 5 years after age 65, the risk of developing Alzheimer’s doubles. The data is based on longitudinal research by the National Health Service of the United Kingdom.
3. Age and Stressful Life: In old age, if for some reason there is a lot of stress in a person’s life and this stress remains for years, then problems related to memory can occur. For example, an elderly person’s family should leave him alone, not take care of children, take care of him at home. So in this case, the person first goes through emotional trauma and then gradually his mind can move towards depression and memory related problems.
4. Any Accident:If a person has a bad accident at an older age in his life, which breaks him mentally and emotionally, even then the person can suffer from memory problems. It is caused by a deep emotional trauma. For example, collapse of business, loss of family in accident etc.
5. Head Injury: Any type of accident that results in a head injury and damage to the part of the brain (the hippocampus) that stores memory can lead to memory problems.