The opening duo of Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan achieved an incredible feat during the third and final ODI of the series against England. The pair became the second from India to score 5000 partnership runs in ODIs after the legendary duo of Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly.
Rohit and Dhawan, who started opening together in the fifty-over format in 2013, achieved the feat in their 111th innings as openers.
Tendulkar and Ganguly also formed a formidable opening pair during their time in the national team.
Rohit and Dhawan also went past Australia’s pair of Adam Gilchrist and Matthew Hayden en-route their 103-run partnership in the 3rd ODI. This was their 17th century-partnership, surpassing Gilchrist-Hayden’s record of 16.
Here’s the list of most partnership runs as ODI pair:
- Sachin Tendulkar-Sourav Ganguly (India) – 8227
- Mahela Jayawardene-Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) – 5992
- Tillakaratne Dilshan-Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) – 5475
- Marvan Atapattu-Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka) – 5462
- Adam Gilchrist-Matthew Hayden (Australia) – 5409
- Gordon Greenidge-Desmond Haynes (West Indies) – 5206
- ROHIT SHARMA-SHIKHAR DHAWAN (INDIA) – 5023
Here’s the list of most century partnerships as ODI pair:
- Sachin Tendulkar-Sourav Ganguly (India) – 26
- Tillakaratne Dilshan-Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) – 20
- Virat Kohli-Rohit Sharma (India) – 18
- ROHIT SHARMA-SHIKHAR DHAWAN (INDIA) – 17