China has once again claimed the Galvan Valley amidst ongoing tension from India over the Line of Actual Control (LAC). China issued a statement late Friday saying that the Indian Army crossed the LAC on the intervening night of June 15-16 and attacked Chinese troops. China has claimed that in the Major-General level meeting held on 6 June, India promised that it would not cross the Galvan River for patrolling and the two countries would withdraw their forces from these areas after discussing at the commander level.
China has said in a statement issued through the embassy in Delhi that surprisingly on the night of June 15, India’s frontline troops broke the agreement and crossed the LAC into the Chinese border. That too at a time when the situation in the Galvan valley was getting better. At the same time, he attacked the Chinese officers and soldiers present at the settlement in Galvan, triggering an encounter between the two armies and killing many people. China has said that this movement of the Indian Army has hurt the stability on the border.
Significantly, after the violence on June 15, China has declared its autonomy over the entire Galvan Valley for the first time, while India has already instructed it not to make any unnecessary claims. China says that its border troops had been patrolling the area for a long time.
Let me tell you that the forces of India and China got entangled in the Galvan Valley on the night of 15 June. Both soldiers did not fire, but due to the melee and use of sharp weapons, many soldiers of both countries were killed. While the Indian Army has admitted that 20 soldiers were martyred, the Chinese Army has admitted that its soldiers were killed in the encounter, but it has not disclosed the number of soldiers.